Saturday, August 9, 2008

Success at last!

Well, whaddya know-finally got too tired to fight and just did it. This was taken a few years ago, but the poppy patch is one thing that I count on every year to make me smile for a few days, and then they're gone- they look the same every year-there is a red one that's the biggest and an orange one that only gets about eight blooms and never more. My yard is weird, because If I put three of the same plants next to each other, one will grow and the other two will die. So, there is one healthy peony, two very sick ones. Only two poppy plants will grow because a neighbor has a tree that apparently provides exactly the right amount of shade, so now I just enjoy what works and have quit spending money on plants that don't. Can't do as much work outside as I used to, so the rule is, if it can live on it's own with a minimum of human assistance it can stay, otherwise, don't need it.

This blogging is a puzzle-why is it that all day long things pop up to write about, then the screen becomes that horrible blank page (canvas?) -maybe that's why photography is more fun-the material is there, it just needs to be framed right, which is no mean feat, but at least there is something there to work with. I was thinking about tools and how important they are and how individual. One day soon, I will get my favorites out and take their pictures. They have been good friends for many years-some are recognizable as tools and others are just odd objects that work for whatever reason-when they haven't decided to take a powder and make me crazy wondering if they will ever resurface. That's the fault of a disorganized mind and work space-busted. Part of that growth goal is to zero in on what I really want to spend time getting good at and what to leave alone. Questions come to mind, like is there even enough time left to get good at anything? Maybe that's not as important as the PROCESS. I like process, and really less interested in the end product for it's own sake, so that's a good thing to keep in mind.
A typical evening is to walk through the house and pick up something that has interested me for awhile and do something to alter it- paint it or dismantle it or whatever and then something else grabs at me. If nothing comes of it, then it works it's way to the bottom of the pile and something else gets visited. I certainly fit in the category of people who need more than one project to work on. What bothers me is that I wasn't like that ten years ago. I could conceive a quilt, start on it and stay with it until it was finished, shown, and then packed away for posterity.
Then one day I couldn't even look at a piece of fabric or imagine spending that much time on little stitches again. Did the same thing with knitting and rugs-I pay for a 5x10 storage room for fabric and yarn, because I keep thinking I will want to have them if the urge hits again, but reality says get shed of it and move along. Perhaps I should have a contest and give bits of it away on the blog? It was all treasure to me when I found it and still is but it needs fresh eyes to give it life again. There, a decision has been made and you are here to help me follow through.

This is assuming that anyone will ever come to the blog, but hey, why worry, there is no big rush to do much of anything-sometimes that old habit of hurry hurry gets in the way. Enough for now, it's time to get some sleep. great weekend to all, emma

1 Comments:

At August 19, 2008 at 8:27 PM , Blogger Judy Wise said...

Believe me,the SECOND you get rid of that fabric you will have an attack of wanting to make urban aprons or dolls or another quilt. We all need a storage space for our stuff.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home